main page of Trade Cards OnlineTrade Cards Online

The safest place to trade, buy, and sell cards

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Change to the Tournament scoring scheme
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Trade Cards Online Forum Index -> Magic: The Gathering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

Subject: Change to the Tournament scoring scheme   PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:40 am Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm planning on changing the way points are granted in our monthly tournaments. My intention is to remove the advantage for those people who have a lot of time in their hands and can play too many games every day. They are currently getting points even if they lose the games. I think a fairer system should give points only to the winner of each game.

The points would be granted this way:

3 points for the winner (this stays the same)
0 point for the loser
1 point for each player in a draw or tie
2 points for abandoned games (this stays the same)

All other Tournament Rules remain the same without change.

Please let me know what you think about this change by posting your comments in this thread.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by admin on Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
shuriken6
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:31 pm Reply with quote

I have no problem with that; to be honest, i almost never know when i get points whether i win or lose or whatever, because my win/losses are always going back and forth let alone what my rank would be by the end of it. with that said, this makes no difference in my opinion except make it easier to understand how the scoring works
sharaizzy

Canceled user

Subject: Re: Change to the Tournament scoring scheme   PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:06 pm Reply with quote

Hey what if a man would be losing and he abandons the game and he gets two points Razz
subhrangshu

Canceled user

Subject: Re: Change to the Tournament scoring scheme   PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:22 pm Reply with quote

sharaizzy wrote:
Hey what if a man would be losing and he abandons the game and he gets two points

this is true. sometimes people abandons game when he going to lose, sometimes I/we have to abandons due to bug(I cant see opponent's cards/opponent cant see my cards) or connection problem. so you have to fix this. and there must be a fair disputer of unsolved game. sometime some people give others (-)point so he can go to top 3 scoring in tournament.
parin

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:27 pm Reply with quote

Agree . No opposition. By the way what will be the max. limit of games that can be played by a player? (if it is decided)
makoclb
Expert
Expert

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:32 am Reply with quote

That change is fine by me.
groudie

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:15 am Reply with quote

Generally speaking it's a great idea but you mention players with a lot of time on their hands have an unfair advantage which I agree with but I don't think this will change much for them. People with a lot of time on their hands will still maintain an advantage over those who don't. Maybe there should be a limit to the number of points awarded in one day.

After the first 7 or 10 or 13 games (per day)there should be no more points awarded to that player. That way it doesn't matter how much games they play since there is a limit to the number of points awarded in 24 hours. However it does matter how much games you've one,lost or draw just like it would in any tournament(card game,sport,etc) I think this way people won't erase their loses simply by playing more games to make up for it.

For Example:
Player A - Has a lot of time on his hands,plays 50 games per day but wins only 25% of the games he played. (37.5 points)

Player B - Doesn't have as much time, plays 10 games per day but wins 75% of his games. (22.5 points)

Assuming that each player is awarded points ONLY for the first 7 games played per day then player B is playing on a level playing field and would be justly rewarded for his performance. Who ever has the highest score at the end of the day would likely be the player with a superior deck or superior skills and not the player who simple just plays a lot of games. Tournaments should reflect some level of skills and the playing field should be leveled for everyone.

With this system you are actually being rewarded for playing good and not rewarded for how much time you have. If you performed poorly and won only 3 games out of 7 then you have to wait a day to recover from your previous loses and try to cover your tracks. If you performed well and won 6 out of 7 games then you would have been justly rewarded, you could afford some mistakes but would also have to maintain some level of skillful play to keep your lead. Think of it like a golf tournament scoring system Smile

3 points for the winner
0 point for the loser
No points for unresolved abandoned games.

No points for abandon games that are not resolved. Abandoned games that are resolved count to your limit per day if there is a winner(3),loser(0),draw(1). People who are caught abandoning games because they are losing gets -1 point for each game they abandon.

N.B. This system DOES NOT limit the amount of games you can play in a day. It limits the amount of points you can get in a day.

Sorry for the typos.
rathy_aro

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:13 pm Reply with quote

I don't see why people are rewarded for ties and abandoning.
dxforliferf2

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:53 am Reply with quote

I agree with groudie his way takes a lot more skill and gets rid of the free time on my hands problem
sharaizzy

Canceled user

Subject: Re: Change to the Tournament scoring scheme   PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:56 am Reply with quote

The new rules are set great but please do something about the game abanding.Its alright if there is a internet problem or a bud but please
sharaizzy

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:10 am Reply with quote

groudie wrote:
Generally speaking it's a great idea but you mention players with a lot of time on their hands have an unfair advantage which I agree with but I don't think this will change much for them. People with a lot of time on their hands will still maintain an advantage over those who don't. Maybe there should be a limit to the number of points awarded in one day.

After the first 7 or 10 or 13 games (per day)there should be no more points awarded to that player. That way it doesn't matter how much games they play since there is a limit to the number of points awarded in 24 hours. However it does matter how much games you've one,lost or draw just like it would in any tournament(card game,sport,etc) I think this way people won't erase their loses simply by playing more games to make up for it.

For Example:
Player A - Has a lot of time on his hands,plays 50 games per day but wins only 25% of the games he played. (37.5 points)

Player B - Doesn't have as much time, plays 10 games per day but wins 75% of his games. (22.5 points)

Assuming that each player is awarded points ONLY for the first 7 games played per day then player B is playing on a level playing field and would be justly rewarded for his performance. Who ever has the highest score at the end of the day would likely be the player with a superior deck or superior skills and not the player who simple just plays a lot of games. Tournaments should reflect some level of skills and the playing field should be leveled for everyone.

With this system you are actually being rewarded for playing good and not rewarded for how much time you have. If you performed poorly and won only 3 games out of 7 then you have to wait a day to recover from your previous loses and try to cover your tracks. If you performed well and won 6 out of 7 games then you would have been justly rewarded, you could afford some mistakes but would also have to maintain some level of skillful play to keep your lead. Think of it like a golf tournament scoring system Smile

3 points for the winner
0 point for the loser

No points for abandon games that are not resolved. Abandoned games that are resolved count to your limit per day if there is a winner(3),loser(0),draw(1). People who are caught abandoning games because they are losing gets -1 point for each game they abandon.

N.B. This system DOES NOT limit the amount of games you can play in a day. It limits the amount of points you can get in a day.

Sorry for the typos.
This rule is great.These should be the scoring system.Nicely said Smile
zerok

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:06 am Reply with quote

Yes I completely agree with groudie it's the perfect setting of rules. That way the skilled people will be on top and not the people who play like 10 cardfights per day.
sindbad7cs

Canceled user

Subject: Groudie nailed it!!   PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:56 pm Reply with quote

Great post! Hope this is getting serious consideration:

Quote:

3 points for the winner
0 point for the loser

shirotama

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote

phew finally i can comment here >.< i think there are some bugs since i try to comment but i can't

ok to the topic

4 points for the winner
1 point for the loser
0 point for each player in a draw or tie
0 points for unresolved abandoned games.
Win with someone who not in the list tournament (not yet a participant) will get 1 points, and when he get listed the winner get 3 extra points (because he already get 1 point before) and when the one who lose get listed then he get 1 point for the game he lose before

i dont have any reason why tie or abandoned game need to get scoring.

and for limit point that groudie mention, i thinks thats a good idea, but.

1. when you limit someone to get playing (to get score), meaning it will cut off the traffic for this website (make more less traffic) because players does not have strong reason why players should play again since players already play 7 times, and less traffic not good for this web Smile
2. when i play with someone who not in tournament list then i got no points until he/she listed in the tournament and no guaranteed that she/he will. and playing with them only cost my time and make more harder to catch up the top list.
3. if no one want to play with them (the newbie) it will make them sad, and will make less new register member.
4. Can i ask? do you prefer the one who get listed or the new register one to play? Honestly i will choose the one who already listed (because i dont get points when i play with someone not listed yet, and they ussually play hybrids ><. and it will make worse if it will get limited

And the last, how about make a Cup and it will show quality, at least if the best cant get number one in tournament hopefully he/she can get it in cup, right?

Sorry if out of topic but can admin add 1 slot to play because in peak times we need to line up for a minutes or thirty minutes ><. just my 2 cent though

and once more, i thinks everyone times is priceless, and if he/she invest some times for play so he/she can get in the top i thinks it's fair enough (and it will make their time to play more valueable when they get credit for the time they invest here). after all everyone have 24 hours a day and they are free to choose what they want to do Very Happy.
arthur

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:14 pm Reply with quote

5 points for the winner
3 points for the draw/tie
2 points for the loser
-1 point for abandoned or aborted games

No point in playing the game if your almost always losing and don't get any points for it Sad
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Trade Cards Online Forum Index -> Magic: The Gathering All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: