main page of Trade Cards OnlineTrade Cards Online

The safest place to trade, buy, and sell cards

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Looking for Deck Advice

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Trade Cards Online Forum Index -> YuGiOh! Deck Garage
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stegofreak
Beginner
Beginner

Subject: Looking for Deck Advice   PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:05 pm Reply with quote

Hi guys, I've been putting together my first deck recently and I was wondering whether you could give me any tips as to where to go with it. I started building it around the Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning because it's a card that I like so a lot of the cards in the deck help to get it onto the field from wherever it may be.

On top of that, I generally play defensive in card games (MTG, AGoT etc.) so that's why there are a few 2000 DEF cards in there (also bolstering the LIGHT/DARK attribute cards.)

Lastly, the Horus The Black Flame Dragons are in there as a way to get a level 8 on the field without having to go through a standard tribute summon.

I've added the deck so far to http://www.tradecardsonline.com/im/showDeck/deck_id/249720. It's only 40 cards so there is extra room for tweaking but I'd rather not dilute it too much.
automatonsleuth
Master
Master

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:52 pm Reply with quote

The problem with building a deck around a specific card (like BLS)is that, if that specific card gets nobbled, your options become severely limited. Instead, it is always better to build around whatever concept that your favoured card is a part of. In your case, you're building around BLS, which is a chaos card. I would therefore suggest that rather than building around BLS, you make a Chaos deck, with BLS as your best, but neither the only nor an essential chaos card.

To this end, I suggest the following cards:

Effect Veiler - not hard to get hold of now that the ORCS special edition box is out, great for messing up your opponent's strategies and, very importantly, it is a LIGHT monster which dumps itself into the grave while doing its thang).

Gorz the Emissary of Darkness - another staple, and he contributes towards your DARK count, in addition to potentially getting you out of tight spots.

Sangan - staple for most decks, but here it contributes towards the DARK half of your Chaos elements, while allowing you to search for your defensive critters or stuff like Kuriboh/Effect Veiler.

Dark Armed Dragon - look at it, it speaks for itself. It's had a common reprint now, so it should be easy-peasy to get.

Chaos Sorceror - your backup strategy. Nothing like as hard-hitting as BLS, but I'd swear by it. Decent ATK and a balanced removal ability packed into one.

Now, things to change/remove in your current setup:

The first thing I'll say is that you have a lot of Traps. A few years ago you couldget away with that, but we live in a world where MST is unlimted, where Giant Trunade has been replaced by Heavy Storm and where everyone and his dog has access to stuff like Trap Stun. It's harder to rely on Traps nowadays, so if you're going to throw them in, it's better to make sure they're stuff like Compulsary Evacuation Device which can be chained to an effect that would otherwise kill them.

Next up, you yourself are rather low on Spell/Trap removal. I heartily recommend a third MST and/or a Heavy Storm, to give you that much more of a chance to kill that Bottomless Trap Hole/Solemn Warning before it can nobble your BLS/Chaos Sorceror.

Now, onto monsters. Why have you chosen Crashbug X? I know it has 2000 DEF, but I'm sure that there's plenty of other high DEF monsters out there that are much more useful. After all, why settle for a monster with high DEF and a useless effect when you could pick one with high DEF AND reasonable ATK/a useful effect? I really, REALLY wouldn't bother with the Horus cards, they aren't synergistic with the rest of the deck. Seriously, unless you have a major sentimental reason for including them, then don't hamper yourself with them.
stegofreak
Beginner
Beginner

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:42 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback automatonsleuth. With regards to what you said, I picked up an ORCS Special Edition and got the Effect Veiler so that one I could add to by deck.

Regarding Chaos Sorcerer, I have used it in decks I've tweaked from starters before so I am well familiar with it's mechanics. It's one of the reasons the led me toward BLS (the other being not having to ritual summon.)

As for the inclusion of the three Horus cards - I know how out of sync with the deck they are. Honestly, planned to use no Dragons in this deck but I liked their effect as it allowed for a level 8 cards to be summoned without a standard trubute. Would it be advisable to switch in Yubel, Yubel - Terror Incarnate and Yubel - The Ultimate Nightmare instead? They have similar summon effects, are much stronger and are DARK monsters.

Regarding the trap cards, adding the above Yubels would mean that I'd have less need of the two Magic Cylinder cards and I wouldn't mind losing Dimensional Prison for the same reason.

You're right about the Crashbug Xs, they're only in for their 2000 DEF because other cards I looked at for their level and keeping with my DARD/LIGHT build seemed hampered by effects.

Quote:
Banisher of the Light (100/2000) As long as this card remains face-up on the field, any card sent to the Graveyard is removed from play instead.

Djinn Releaser of Rituals (1200/2000) When you Ritual Summon a Ritual Monster, you can remove from play this card from your Graveyard as 1 of the monsters required for the Ritual Summon. While the monster Ritual Summoned using this card is face-up on the field, your opponent cannot Special Summon.

Cyber Archfiend (1000/2000)At the beginning of your Draw Phase, if you have no cards in your hand, draw 1 more card in addition to the normal draw. During your End Phase, if you have 1 or more card(s) in your hand, destroy this card.

I suppose I could switch them out for D.D. Trainers (100/2000) to stick with the 2000 DEF or add another Defender, the Magical Knight or two. OR I could step up to 5* with some Darklord Edeh Araes which would work great with a Foolish Burial->Call of the Haunted combo.

Still haven't had a look at the rest though.
lanceskyterror

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote

ok...in know most people will think this is a completely dumb question, but, how exactly do i build a deck on this site??? ive looked all over and im utterly confused.....
automatonsleuth
Master
Master

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:30 pm Reply with quote

lanceskyterror wrote:
ok...in know most people will think this is a completely dumb question, but, how exactly do i build a deck on this site??? ive looked all over and im utterly confused.....

I've PM'd you with an answer, so as not to further derail stegofreak's thread. In future, could you make sure you start a new thread by clicking the "New Topic" button? It's better practice than thread-jacking someone else's topic, even if it was accidental.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Trade Cards Online Forum Index -> YuGiOh! Deck Garage All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: