main page of Trade Cards OnlineTrade Cards Online

The safest place to trade, buy, and sell cards

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Galactic Overlord

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Trade Cards Online Forum Index -> YuGiOh! General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skittlz100
Master
Master

Subject: Galactic Overlord   PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:36 am Reply with quote

So, can anyone explain the thought process behind Galactic Overlords choice of rarities? Hieratics have such an easy potential of OTK, and yet any Hieratic that has any play value is a common! Tefnuit should be a Secret rare, Su should be an Ultra, I mean come on. I usually finish my opponent second turn using Hieratics, it's just sad they're all commons. And what about Lightrays? By simply having 4 Lights in your grave, you can special summon any Daedalus you have in your hand. A 2600, with a decent effect, that can special summon itself out as much as it wants, and it's a common. And all the other Lightrays are rares! I just don't get it. Gaia Dragon, the Thunder Charger is only a super (when you can place him over ANY 5 or 6 XYZ, main part of Hieratic OTK). I mean, if they're by chance doing this to make the deck's easier to make without spending so much money, then why is Draconnection an Ultra? That's a card TONS of dragon-users will want, and it'll be pretty pricy. My guess is a little more than Tuning was back in the day.

So my question is, does anyone have any logical reasoning behind the rarities of these cards?
automatonsleuth
Master
Master

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:22 pm Reply with quote

Well, in the past one of the biggest complaints levelled against Konami has been that they make too many competitive cards high rarity, leading to ridiculously high prices and tournaments becoming a matter of 'who has the most disposable income?' rather than 'who is the best player?'. Inzektors and Hieratics make it possible for anyone, regardless of personal wealth, to be able to make strong archetype decks using the contents of packs. We've seen more or less the same thing with structure decks like Lost Sanctuary and Gates of the Underworld: they've had great sales, because the contents are both cheap and very good. I expect we'll see quite high pack sales for GAOV as well.
li23yut

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:11 pm Reply with quote

Hey lol...
They CAN' T be ALL holos and pricy,really!Gebeb,hey,should've been Ultra...And Suketh?He' s worth NOTHING!Asar is also quite useless!Su isn' t really the spotlight though...Nebthet is!
brokendwarf

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:53 pm Reply with quote

I never pulled anything good out of Galactic Overlord, so I never really liked Hieratics (I see what they can do though. Goodness). I'm not sure why Tardy Orc was a Secret; it was the worst of the Secret Rares.
Inzektors? That deck is an expensive deck to make. Hornets go for like $25 each and the Zektkaliber goes for like $10 each, and most people run 3 of each of those. Not to mention the extra deck stuff: Rank 3 and 5 Xyz monsters, such as Tiras, Adreus, and Zenmaines.
got_milk

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:20 am Reply with quote

Hieratics are not cheap lol.

So the common cards are staples, but you still need

3x atum at around 20-25 bucks a pop
1x Gustaph max around 110 in Japan, prob gonna cost more in the US
1x Photon Strike Bounzer around 50?

rest of the extra deck no matter how you swing it is 150-250 bucks

then factor in minimum 40-50 bucks for spells/traps if you go lowest rarity on everything.

Any competetive deck is gonna run at least $500

and historically, almost all of the main monster cards to any deck have been common with the tech and support cards being of higher rarity.

Think, even when glad beasts was popular, only secret was retiari, everything else common or rare

same with gravekeepers, dark world, etc.

I think the rarities make sense, from a marketing perspective its great - the deck skeletons are easy to acquire, but the vital tech cards are not. So you feel like you're 90% there when you've only spent 10% of the required money.
li23yut

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:11 am Reply with quote

I repeat everything Got_milk said Razz
automatonsleuth
Master
Master

Subject:    PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quote

I think, Mr Milk, that you are overestimating the number of expensive cards you need for a tournament-winning Hieratic deck, and vastly overestimating the cards required just to make a generally strong Hieratic deck. More pertinently though, you don't seem to appreciate that the majority of Yugioh players are not competitive/tournament players, and therefore the criteria for creating a strong deck are rather different. There is no need to include Atum, Streak Bounzer or the like.

I have recently finished building a Hieratic deck for a friend of a friend, with a budget of £25. So far, it is undefeated within our gaming circle by anyone but myself, who, having built and playtested it fairly extensively, currently knows it better than its new owner. Even then, I'm only winning about half of the time. The most expensive card for this deck was Thunder End Dragon, at about $8.50, followed by Neo Galaxy Eyes, at 6.50, and then Gebeb, at $5. Almost everything else was a few pence. So yes, Hieratics can be built strongly and cheaply.

I would also like to address a statement of Mr Dwarf's: yes, Hornet and Zektscalibur are expensive. So don't use them. Inzektor deck is suddenly not so expensive after all. Make the Inzektor deck an Xyz engine instead. With the BP01 out, it's very possible to get Adreus and Tiras for about a quarter of what each was before, and Utopia, Gem-Knight Pearl and Leviathan Dragon are all pretty cheap and easy to get if you shop around (there was an Amazon webstore selling each of the above at £0.45 each for about a week, although as their stocks dwindled they hit the massive price of £0.75 (bad times, man, bad times...).

Perhaps if you're netdecking straight off the tournament toppers, then yes, these decks are expensive. Then again, if all you're interested in is competitive play, money probably isn't an issue for you anyway, so long as the end product does what you want. However, for a great number of players, the sort who get their cards primarily from buying packs and trading, with a handful of singles to top it up, Inzektors and Hieratics are strong, but still very affordable, deck types.
li23yut

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:07 am Reply with quote

automatonsleuth wrote:
I think, Mr Milk, that you are overestimating the number of expensive cards you need for a tournament-winning Hieratic deck, and vastly overestimating the cards required just to make a generally strong Hieratic deck. More pertinently though, you don't seem to appreciate that the majority of Yugioh players are not competitive/tournament players, and therefore the criteria for creating a strong deck are rather different. There is no need to include Atum, Streak Bounzer or the like.

I have recently finished building a Hieratic deck for a friend of a friend, with a budget of £25. So far, it is undefeated within our gaming circle by anyone but myself, who, having built and playtested it fairly extensively, currently knows it better than its new owner. Even then, I'm only winning about half of the time. The most expensive card for this deck was Thunder End Dragon, at about $8.50, followed by Neo Galaxy Eyes, at 6.50, and then Gebeb, at $5. Almost everything else was a few pence. So yes, Hieratics can be built strongly and cheaply.

I would also like to address a statement of Mr Dwarf's: yes, Hornet and Zektscalibur are expensive. So don't use them. Inzektor deck is suddenly not so expensive after all. Make the Inzektor deck an Xyz engine instead. With the BP01 out, it's very possible to get Adreus and Tiras for about a quarter of what each was before, and Utopia, Gem-Knight Pearl and Leviathan Dragon are all pretty cheap and easy to get if you shop around (there was an Amazon webstore selling each of the above at £0.45 each for about a week, although as their stocks dwindled they hit the massive price of £0.75 (bad times, man, bad times...).

Perhaps if you're netdecking straight off the tournament toppers, then yes, these decks are expensive. Then again, if all you're interested in is competitive play, money probably isn't an issue for you anyway, so long as the end product does what you want. However, for a great number of players, the sort who get their cards primarily from buying packs and trading, with a handful of singles to top it up, Inzektors and Hieratics are strong, but still very affordable, deck types.

Hey it´s true!I tried MY own Hieratic deck without Atum,and it uses Queen Dragun Djinn and Rank 4s:Alexandrite XDDDD
It´s competitive enough
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Trade Cards Online Forum Index -> YuGiOh! General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: