main page of Trade Cards OnlineTrade Cards Online

The safest place to trade, buy, and sell cards

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
cheaper way of protecting cards in transit.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Trade Cards Online Forum Index -> Trade Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cubone45

Canceled user

Subject: cheaper way of protecting cards in transit.   PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:22 pm Reply with quote

Hi all,
Every trade I do my cards are always sent out well protected in deck protectors or penny sleeves which are place two to a plastic top loader.These are then tapped together then wrapped in a note before placing into a padded envalope to send out.Outgoing cards are always very well protected.Almost bomb proof.Well they need to be with Royal mail and even more so with airmail.

There are many good traders on here who also protect outgoing cards very well,these people are a minority.

Recently dispite sending out several trades which are well protected the incomming cards have not been so well protected in the post and many have been damaged beyond use in a few cases.It's like people don't like sending back the toploaders which I have sent their cards out in initially.I have lost just over 50 toploaders since I joined tradecards online in less then a couple of months,And it's getting expensive to trade at this rate of loss.Sad

Toploaders are expensive to buy if you have to order them in using the internet including postage.There are not shops local to me that sell them off the shelf.So it's my only way of getting them.

The question is,Has anyone else found a cheaper way of protecting cards in transit except for cardboard which bends far too easily in post office machery?
chibionineko
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:12 pm Reply with quote

You sound like your like me. In a pinch 2 sheets of corrigated cardboard can do well in a padded envelope because the padded ones dont go through the rollers at the post office, but dont try it in a normal envelope. I have gotten to the point where if they didn't care enough to send their cards in hard holders or at least cardboard then sometimes I wont send theirs in hard holders.
cubone45

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:53 pm Reply with quote

I purchased another 50 toploaders earlier today as some people require them especially for expensive cards.

Padded envalopes are always used to send out so perhaps corrigated could be a way forward.
I was given some old trading card albums which are falling apart.Noticed that they have those really hard compressed cardboard sheets in the cover which are about 5mm thick and really hard to bend.Once cut to a smaller size it may just be indestructable when two are married together to sandwich the cards between them.May give these a go.

Any other ideas floating around out there?
marigoldfroggy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:00 pm Reply with quote

I used to mail all my trades in boxes filled with packing peanuts. However, since the cards I received in return tended to not be packaged nearly as well as I was packing mine, I also changed how I ship my cards to save money on postage.

I now use bubble mailers instead of boxes since the postage cost to ship a bubble mailer is about 1/5 the price of shipping a box. I mark both sides of the bubble mailer with a "do not bend" stamp unless a customs form blocks a full side of the bubble mailer, then I just stamp one side.

The cards themselves I put into soft sleeves (but not penny sleeves, the kind that are meant for foil cards). I then take a sheet of paper and use it to wrap up the cards, kind of like wrapping up a present, to prevent the cards from bending or getting jumbled around in the packaging.

I really don't like sending out my cards in bubble mailers because the quality isn't nearly as good as sending them in boxes. I also can't put delivery confirmation on a bubble mailer without the postage charges going up to the same rate as mailing a box. However, sending out bubble mailers is still a pretty big step up from a lot of the cards I receive since plenty of people use regular envelopes with a couple index cards protecting sleeved cards. I can't really justify spending four or five times the postage price when most of the people I trade with aren't willing to do the same.
chibionineko
Guru
Guru

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:11 pm Reply with quote

marigoldfroggy wrote:
I used to mail all my trades in boxes filled with packing peanuts. However, since the cards I received in return tended to not be packaged nearly as well as I was packing mine, I also changed how I ship my cards to save money on postage.

I now use bubble mailers instead of boxes since the postage cost to ship a bubble mailer is about 1/5 the price of shipping a box. I mark both sides of the bubble mailer with a "do not bend" stamp unless a customs form blocks a full side of the bubble mailer, then I just stamp one side.

The cards themselves I put into soft sleeves (but not penny sleeves, the kind that are meant for foil cards). I then take a sheet of paper and use it to wrap up the cards, kind of like wrapping up a present, to prevent the cards from bending or getting jumbled around in the packaging.

I really don't like sending out my cards in bubble mailers because the quality isn't nearly as good as sending them in boxes. I also can't put delivery confirmation on a bubble mailer without the postage charges going up to the same rate as mailing a box. However, sending out bubble mailers is still a pretty big step up from a lot of the cards I receive since plenty of people use regular envelopes with a couple index cards protecting sleeved cards. I can't really justify spending four or five times the postage price when most of the people I trade with aren't willing to do the same.

If you slip a few packing peanuts in the padded mailer it makes it thick enough to be a "First class parcel" which you can add delivery confirmation to. Still cheaper than most boxes, usually about $2.50 per trade.
cubone45

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:13 pm Reply with quote

I have had a few white envalope jobbies with unprotected cards jiggling around in them.Not very good at all.Not all have made it in one piece.

I do wonder sometimes at the age of some of the people I have traded with and often wondered if they are still at school.Conclusion is usually drawn after looking at packaging and quality or lack of quality in some cases of the cards sent.It could explain some poor packaging as not many kids down our way have much money at all to spend on cards let alone postage and packaging.It's beginning to look like one of the pitfalls of trading online.

I am beginning to feel the same and wonder if it's actually worth me putting the time,money,and effort into protecting cards in transit when often my trading partner does not give a hoot.
marigoldfroggy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:35 pm Reply with quote

chibionineko wrote:
If you slip a few packing peanuts in the padded mailer it makes it thick enough to be a "First class parcel" which you can add delivery confirmation to. Still cheaper than most boxes, usually about $2.50 per trade.

$2.50 was about what I was paying to ship boxes with delivery confirmation, I was getting them and the peanuts for free from my school post office. The way I send them in the bubble mailers they actually already let me classify it as a first class parcel if I want delivery confirmation, I just haven't been doing that because it quadruples the shipping price for most trades.

So far all of my trades have gotten to me in once piece, although a few have had their packaging a bit beaten up. Some of the people I have traded with definitely seem like they're high school kids or younger whether it's how they communicate, how they package their cards, or the condition their cards are in.

It's definitely worth putting in the extra effort to make sure your cards get to your trading partner safely, even if they don't seem to put much thought into how they package their end of the trade. Even if you're not entirely happy with how a trade turns out, at least if you ship your cards with care, your trading partner will be happy. Having neither person be happy with a trade doesn't really accomplish anything.

I'm not sure about shipping costs in other countries, but where I am shipping via bubble mailers is very cost effective, as long as you buy the bubble mailers on ebay and not at the post office. The bubble mailers themselves I spend about $0.20 each on and the postage is usually only $0.44, so $0.64 total per trade instead of $2.50 when I was sending in boxes.

TLDR: It might not be a great idea to spend extra on all the shipping bells and whistles on every trade, but there are cost effective ways to mail your cards with care.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Trade Cards Online Forum Index -> Trade Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: