Playing online has several advantages:
- Test a deck you would like to play but cannot because you lack the cards
- Test a deck before you bother finding the cards
- Meet new players and find new play styles
- No need to spend time traveling to meet players
There are 4 ways to play VTES online:
- JOL. Version 2 was played by email, with game lasting several monthes and with private dealing allowed. JOL version 3 is web-based and would allow more interactive games. At the time of writing, JOL2 is sleeping while JOL3 is not ready yet http://www.deckserver.net/jol
- Deckbot is IRC-based. http://vtesirc.monocleofclarity.com/userpres/deckbot.htm
- CCG Workshop has a new VTES game. It uses a graphical, windows-only, interface and is not free. http://www.ccgworkshop.com
- iVTES is based on instant-messaging. http://ivtes.net
The iVTES FAQ makes a quick comparison of the 4 ways.
What are your experiences with online playing ? Tell us what you think.