main page of Trade Cards OnlineTrade Cards Online

The safest place to trade, buy, and sell cards

bulletin boards

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Rules Q&A for 1/18/2006

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Trade Cards Online Forum Index -> Star Wars TCG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redneckjedi

Canceled user

Subject: Rules Q&A for 1/18/2006   PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:59 pm Reply with quote

One of my duties as Herald of the SWTCG is to act as a rules resource for game in the TCO community. I recently received a batch of rules questions, and thought I'd share them with you. Remember, when it comes to questions about rules, always be sure to reference the Rulebook and Consolidated Errata and Rulings available on Wizards of the Coast's SW:TCG website. Here we go!

Question 1 wrote:
If I have a unique Character in play and my opponent wants to play a Character with Hidden Cost having the same name as the one I have in play (for example i have a Boba Fett (C) and my opponent Wants to play Boba Fett (H)), can he do that and, if so, what happens ?

The moment your opponent's unique Character with Hidden Cost with the same name as yours in the arena enters the arena, you immediately follow the rules for contesting unique units. Once the contest is over, and the losing player's Character enters the build zone, then normal play continues in the battle phase.

Anytime during battle when two unique units with the same name are in battle, you follow the rules for contesting unique units.

Question 2 wrote:
Can Battle cards be played during the Build Step or can they only be played during battle?

Good question! The vast majority of Battle cards cannot be played during the Build Step. Battle cards must be given an "opportunity to play," and the Build Step does not have a play-or-pass (PoP) opportunity to play them. However, there are exceptions that allow you to play them during the Build Step:
  1. Damage Prevention - There are a few slim opportunities for preventable damage to be done to units during the build step. Activated abilities and Battle cards that prevent damage can be used since a damage prevention PoP opportunity is created.
  2. Disrupt - So far, three types of things can be disrupted: Activated abilities, Battle cards and Missions. Each time the cost of one of these are played during the game, a PoP opportunity to Disrupt is created, allowing Disrupt Battle cards and Activated abilities to be played.
  3. "Play only when that ability would be played" - This statement allows the Don't Get All Mushy Battle card to be played during the Build Step. A condition is created to play the card during the Build Step, if you would use it to duplicate an Activated ability that can be played during the Build Step.
Question 3 wrote:
If Battle cards can be used during Build step, can activated abilites be disrupted by Thwart?

Based on the above answer, yes, Thwart can be used during the Build Step.

Question 4 wrote:
Can High Speed Dodge be used when a unit is damaged by 1 or 2 hits (i ask this because the card says: prevent 3 damage, it doesn't says prevent UP to 3 damage)?

Yes, it can still be used to prevent less than 3 damage. It does not say it can ONLY prevent 3 damage. The lack of the words "up to" have no bearing on the card's damage prevention effect.

Question 5 wrote:
If I have the Rebel Hangar Location in play, can I remove damage counters from units in my Build zone?

Yes you can. The card does not stipulate that the Space or Ground unit you may remove damage from must be in an arena.

Question 6 wrote:
One of Mace Windu (A)'s abilities states, "At the end of the Character battle, gain +1 Force if Mace is in the Character arena." Mace Windu (F) has a similar ability that states, "At the end of the Character battle gain 1 Force." Does that mean that Mace (F) lets you gain Force even if he is retreated?

No. Triggered abilities do not work in the Build zone (where your units retreat). Mace Windu (A) was created early in the game's life, and this full text was included to help make the point clear on when it could be used. The lack of the wording on Mace Windu (F) does not allow it to work in the Build zone.

Question 7 wrote:
If I have a Darth Vader (R) with 10 Build Counters, can I play his Hidden Cost ability by paying 0 Force?

Yes you can. If the difference in Force cost is 0 to deploy with Hidden Cost, then you can simply invoke Hidden Cost without paying any Force!

Question 8 wrote:
Can abilities and battle cards that state, "Play only when no unit is attacking," be played after a unit attacks and before another unit attacks, or can those abilities not be played if a unit has already attacked?

"Play only when no unit is attacking" means that the ability can be used during battle, but only when no unit is currently attacking. It can still be used after an attack has been made that turn.

It may be easy to confuse this condition with the one on the Walking Droid Starfighter. This card has a condition that states, "Play only during the Space battle step and only if no unit has attacked." In this case, if a unit has already attacked this turn, this ability cannot be used for the remainder of the turn.

These were very good questions! If anyone has other questions about the game or its rules, feel free to ask them here in the forum, or send them to me through TCO's message system and I'll get to them as soon as I can.

--redneckjedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Trade Cards Online Forum Index -> Star Wars TCG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: