main page of Trade Cards OnlineTrade Cards Online

The safest place to trade, buy, and sell cards

bulletin boards

TIP Nobody is allowed to have more than one user name on this site. Please report any trespassers, including those who register with a new name after their membership gets canceled.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
Do these cards seem fake to you?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Trade Cards Online Forum Index -> Pokemon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elzy92

Canceled user

Subject: Do these cards seem fake to you?   PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:45 am Reply with quote

I won an auction on ebay for 100 cards and it had a star card and a couple of other semi-expensive cards in. I saw the auction in it's last 3 minutes and the Regice * took my eye because the auction was for 100 cards including him for £24. So I bid feeling really lucky to catch the auction and I was the ONLY bidder (I thought I had hit the jackpot with the *) then looked at the pictures properly to see this:

He says that Root fossil card is a misprint and that i'm a rookie collector for not knowing "misprints." Which honestly, I'm not very interested in them but have a look at them now and again and I have never seen a spelling error like that.

Then these. The energies in the top right look FAR too big for the circles they're in, it's like the black symbols have been chopped off on the right corner. Not to mention the font seems dodgey like it's too small and too spaced apart?

Here's the spheal card normally:

It just didn't seem right to me so I didn't want to pay. I messaged the seller asking him to withdraw my winning bid and he gave me a load of old rubbish about how offended he was and how he's been a collector and played tournaments all over the world for 25years. He said I was just a rookie who thought I was an expert. He only addressed the missing letter on root fossil though, nothing about the energy symbols and nothing about the spaced out font.

Anyone else seeing these just look really really fake? I have never spotted out a fake card really but these scream it to me.
silverkitsune
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:00 am Reply with quote

Yeah... I'm sorry to say, but those cards ARE fake. It's a pity people who sell fake cards are still around. Sad

You can read more on how to tell fake cards apart from others here.

If you've paid via Paypal, you should ask for a refund claiming that the merchandise was fake. I've got refunds from bad sellers in the past, so it's not wasted time. Wink

Good luck!
elzy92

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:06 am Reply with quote

No I haven't paid. I found the auction with hardly any time left and saw the star card and swooped in. Then after closer inspection of the pictures after the auction ended I noticed. I have reported the auction to ebay, I don't know what they'll do about it. Other ebay users have told me I HAVE to pay now and then send the items back to get a refund. I have got 450 pos feedback on there through selling and buying but that just seems pointless, i'd rather take the unpaid item strike against me.

It is a shame, especially when people fake star cards. They're very exciting to obtain in a collection and people will think they have something very valuable which is fake all along. It's not fair at all. My only stars have been from boosters luckily.

Some poor collector is going to buy that bundle though and £24 is hardly cheap.

Thankyou for the guide though! These fakes are guilty of almost everything on the list!
silverkitsune
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:48 am Reply with quote

If you haven't paid, then don't pay. The seller can still leave you negative feedback even if you do pay and you later send the item back. Plus, you have to pick the send-back money out of your pocket, which means you technically lose some.
I wouldn't worry about other people, few of them don't know how to tell fakes apart from one another AFTER purchasing them... if that seller persists, they're just going to get reported until they're prevented from selling altogether. Not even eBay likes having counterfeit sellers on the site, I assure you Wink
elzy92

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:05 pm Reply with quote

Definitely not going to! I'd rather take the negative to my name. It's stupid that's what ebay suggest in the first place. I don't know why anyone would take the time to pay, send the item back with your own money that won't get covered just to get a refund in 7 days. It's ridiculous.

It ruins the hobby for us if people buy them and don't realise. There were a lot of doubles in the bundle and usually when I get doubles I think to come here and try and trade them for any card I don't have.
gromit
Beginner
Beginner

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:20 pm Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry too much about getting a negative. You have the right not to complete a transaction if you genuinely believe you will be defrauded.

..If the person does give you a negative, simply request a feedback removal.

Link: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/feedback-removal.html
cyan1d3
Apprentice
Apprentice

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:57 am Reply with quote

Your predicament is kind of like that saying: "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is." I am sorry that you got scammed, though
redt
Master
Master

Subject:    PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:04 am Reply with quote

Perhaps a bit too late for this situation, but in the future, a second glance at the font and the energies used will help save you from fake card lots like this one. Especially pay attention to the energy symbols (which tend to have exaggerated shading in fake cards), and the font used (fake cards use a different font from the legitimate cards; usually a bit smaller with more spaced font).

I also had a good laugh at the 'Root Fssil'
elzy92

Canceled user

Subject: fake   PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:56 pm Reply with quote

Haha thanks, I didn't get scammed, I didn't pay and ebay understood and removed the unpaid item strike from my name.

I know though, the "Root Fssil" is amazing, a misprint... ha ha ha. I don't know why they try and bother fooling collectors.
I bought another bundle for £20 and it had something ridiculous like 250 fakes in out of 400-500 cards. Some of the worst fakes i've ever seen. So i'm done buying bundles on ebay except smaller ones of like 50-60 cards.
simbageoleo60

Canceled user

Subject:    PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:39 pm Reply with quote

tbh ebay has lots of people who bought fakes like you that are trying to resell them to make money back on the items they bought that were fake you are better off sticking to somewhere else like me on facebook groups https://www.facebook.com/groups/pokemoncardsforslaetradeandtobuy/ of here tradecardsonline as these sites are the most honest you will get
redt
Master
Master

Subject:    PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:06 pm Reply with quote

Yeah, I was going through someone's collection to help them organize, and its funny how easy it is to pick out some fakes. For example: fake reverse foil cards have the entire card surface as foil, whereas legitimate cards omit foiling in the energy. I found a fake Flareon that was completely misspelled as Faron.

Unless people are just ignorant of how fake their card collections are, i'm saddened by the apparent numbers of these lots on eBay. Even if you get scammed and are forced to keep the cards, youre much better off destroying them. At least then youre doing the community a service by reducing the number of fake cards in circulation.

On that note elzy, if you're still looking for bulk cards, I might be able to hook you up. I'm looking to get rid of bulk lots (mostly Yugioh, but I always accumulate in Pokemon eventually as well).
elzy92

Canceled user

Subject: s   PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:24 pm Reply with quote

I know, some fakes are so blindingly obvious like your friends "Faron." I wonder sometimes how people can look at that and think Pokemon genuinely made them.

I bought another lot of 500 cards for £20 after this and got at least 250-300 fakes out of it. I turned about 50 into gift cards to go on presents but threw out the rest. The woman claimed she'd bought them from her local newsagent and wanted them back to show to the police (LOL!!!) I just couldn't be bothered to spend yet more money sending them back and trying to remember which legit ones she sent that i'd already put in my binder. So I was at a loss there.

I have completely stopped buying big lots on ebay, I go for the smaller 40-50 card lots for say £3 but really every single lot i've bought has at least 1 fake card in. The fakes in circulation on ebay are just bad. I use trollandtoad a lot for my rarer holo singles, I just don't trust ebay anymore. I saw somebody selling bundles of fake ex cards on buy it now cheap which is worrying.

A perk though i've learnt so much about fake cards now I think I could spot them a mile off haha!
gromit
Beginner
Beginner

Subject:    PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:23 pm Reply with quote

Buying big lots on ebay et al doesn't necessarily mean a guaranteed load of fakes - take the time to look carefully at the listing and images.

Over time, I've learnt to 1) only buy from sellers that display cards so you can see the majority of them (not 1 photo of a stack)

2) In the pictures they have, look for basic indicators - such as if a border doesn't shine when it should and vice versa

3) check their feedback/ shop to see if there is consistency with items that are for sale/ have sold. (not a 100% rule, but if they have other card lots with fakes in them, there's a higher chance all lots will have fakes if they don't know the difference).

But hey, if you're not buying lots anymore - more for the rest of us Very Happy
elzy92

Canceled user

Subject: :   PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:53 pm Reply with quote

I'm just buying the smaller ones now. I am not a very lucky person so maybe it's just me buying the big lots and getting mainly fake cards haha. When I say big lots aswell I mean 200+ cards, it'd be pretty impossible for them to picture all of them in a few pictures and picture them well enough for me to see the cards properly.

That big 500 lot it was a big bag full with a pokedex toy. Basically looked as though they'd had their kids collection in storage for years, so I thought maybe there'd be some good cards hidden in there. I am pretty sure the seller was unaware half of them were fake aswell. Sucked.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. You can create a new topic in the same forum if you want.    Trade Cards Online Forum Index -> Pokemon All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: